More than 90% of adults suffered from tooth decay; this was the findings of surveys made by the National Health and Nutrition Examination. Statistics confirmed that toothache is a common problem for many people. Sore teeth are really painful that require instantaneous toothache relief. Have you ever suffered from a toothache but no dentist is immediately available? Just follow these remedies for easy and quick toothache pain relief.
What are toothaches and its causes?
The pain experienced in or around your tooth or jaw or tooth condition is referred as toothache. The pain is caused by an inflammation of the nerve that signals that “something is not right;” thus the pain! This is quite embarrassing as decayed tooth causes bad breath. The most prevalent cause of the pain is that the decay in the tooth has affected its pulp. Others causes mentioned are: (i) gum disease; (ii) teeth that are pulled, infected or abscessed tooth; (iii) fractured tooth; (iv) tooth damaged by trauma; or (v) tooth cavity with compromised filling; (vi) wisdom tooth pain.
Natural home toothache remedies
- Saltwater – Place few teaspoons of table salt in a glass of warm water and swish it around in your mouth as long as you can stand it. The salt and heat together may provide some pain relief.
- Flossing – This procedure removes any food particles stuck between your teeth. It also alleviates bad breath.
- Clove Oil – Soak cotton ball with clove oil and bite down using painful tooth. Be wary as cloves are also a potent spice and cause burns on the gum.
- Garlic – Chew on a clove of garlic as this is a time-honored remedy for sore teeth
- Onions – Place inside the mouth a chopped fresh onion.
- Lemon/Lime Juice – After cutting into small slices the lemon or lime, bite the slices and try to stand the pain on your teeth.
- Bourbon or whiskey – As alcohol is an antiseptic and an astringent, you swish inside your mouth and you get some pain relief,
- Bay Bark Berry and vinegar – Mix ground bay berry bark and vinegar into a thick paste and apply to the hurting tooth.
- Exercise may reduce the pain – Keep moving to release endorphins that serves as natural pain reliever of the body, Brisk walking is helpful way to forget the pain in your abscessed tooth.
- Mind and body relaxation – Let your body relax as this state helps alleviate some tooth pain. Your body can be directed to relax by thinking of happy thoughts, focusing on pleasant memories, exhaling & inhaling deeply; and hearing soothing music. This will turn your attention away from the pain.
All of the options for toothache relief are only temporary methods to reduce the pain until you go to your dentist. Toothache remedies can be achieved with household items, and are not intended to replace a dental check-up to diagnose the cause of the pain.
At Smile Dental, we provide Emergency Pain Relief Treatment. These services are available to help those who are in a lot of pain and require urgent dental treatment. Eligible patients are entitled to two treatments in a twelve month period for $40 each treatment. Details